Saturday, December 8, 2012

Chunky Crunchy Cereal

12/8/12



I said 'bye bye' to boxed cereal junk a while ago. Sometimes I bought organic cereals but they're so expensive and can still contain a lot of sugar. So I haven't had any for probably at least a year. I like eggs for breakfast. I still bought cereal for my hubby but processed food just makes me cringe....even if I'm not the one eating it. I love him but he is still a picky eater. He likes convenient and easy things (when I'm not making it and handing it to him on a plate) when he gets ready and goes to work. So I've been on this mission to find yummy cereals that he will eat for breakfast so I don't have to buy him any boxed...or any pop tarts (yuck). Anyways, on to the recipe.....

I think it tastes like those cinnamon cluster type of cereals. It is crunchy and kind of chunky, hence the title. When you add milk (I like almond milk) it doesn't make it too soggy. It's just delicious. 

Chunky Crunchy Cereal

3 cups oats (it says rolled but I used old fashioned)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 cup almonds (I added)
1/4 tsp ginger (I did not have and didn't use...tastes amazing without!)

Mix together and make well in center

1/4 cup oil (I used olive but will use coconut when I buy more)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup milk

Pour in well and mix together
Put in 9x13 pan and spread out
Bake at 300 and take out every 10 minutes to stir. Repeat 4-6 times (40 min-60 min depending on oven and preference of doneness) 

You could add some other nuts and raisins to the cereal but I'm pretty simple when it comes to food usually. 


Getting ingredients assembled


Oats and whole wheat (I used fresh ground from my MIL)



Make a well


Wet ingredients in well


Stir


Put in 9x13


Bake at 300 degrees


Cooked


Add in Tupperware 


Like my container that's like a cereal box? Love it.



Abby likes it :)


I'm working on a new cereal that will be awesome but I want to make a whole batch and test it first....it will be a higher protein cereal and give a good chocolate fix to those who love it. Stay tuned, it's going to rock! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment