Monday, January 7, 2013

Country White Sandwich Bread

1/7/13

Who doesn't like a good sandwich? Most people are particular on what kind of bread they have...I mean, it is a huge part of the sandwich! I like homemade wheat bread when I can get to my mother in law's house and make some with her fresh ground wheat, but I can't do that each week. Plus, my husband is a "classics" man, which means he is picky. I love him still and find ways around it. He likes classic white bread. So I deliver. That's what wives do. I have this amazing cookbook my mom got me when we got married and that's where this recipe comes from. Now I'm sharing it with you!


Country White Sandwich Bread

Ingredients:
2 packages (2 1/2 tsp) active dry yeast
2 cups warm water (110 or 115 degrees)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp salt
2 eggs beaten
1/4 cup oil
6 1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour (I used unbleached)



Directions:
1. Dissolve yeast in water in large mixing bowl.
2. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil, and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth (I used a bowl and spoon)
3. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Put in greased bowl and cover with towel. Let rise in a warm oven for 1 hour.
5. Take out and punch down dough.
6. Divide into 2 loaves. Roll out and roll the dough like you would a pinwheel. Pinch bottom edges together.
7. Put in bread pans and cover, let rise another hour in oven.
8. Bake at 375 degrees 25-30 minutes.
9. Remove immediately from pans and lightly brush with butter to make the outside soft.
10. Let cool and cut!

***I forgot to put oil in this batch of bread pictured, but it still turned out good!***



Put some honey cinnamon butter on it...wow. 


I made my hubby a grilled turkey and cheese sandwich....A-M-A-Z-I-N-G...cause I had a bite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment